The National Biodiversity and Business Network (NBBN) was launched on 15 May 2013 by the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT), in collaboration with the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA), Nedbank Limited, Hatch Goba, De Beers, Transnet, Pam Golding Properties and Pick n Pay.
The aim of the Network is to assist businesses from various sectors to integrate and mainstream biodiversity issues into their strategies and operations. It is designed to be an open and inclusive association of likeminded organisations that have recognised the need to raise awareness of, and stimulate conversation about, biodiversity issues amongst the business community.
The Network objectives are as follows:
- Provide a national platform to facilitate strategic discussions about biodiversity and business.
- Create national momentum about mainstreaming biodiversity considerations into businesses.
- Facilitate the development of a national agenda in terms of biodiversity and business.
- Facilitate cohesion and integration in the discussion and agenda about biodiversity and business.
- Facilitate focused, pragmatic and useful interventions to support businesses in the mainstreaming process.
The primary role of the Network is to bring national stakeholders in business and biodiversity together to share ideas and engage in dialogue. In order to achieve this, the Network will:
- Participate in the development and provision of tools, resources, benchmarks/pilot-studies.
- Facilitate the sharing of ideas and best practices with other national and regional initiatives and adapt them to particular domestic circumstances as required.
- Encourage and enable companies to mainstream biodiversity into their core business.
- Encourage the member companies (as well as their suppliers, customers, and competitors) to commit to measurable actions that will allow them to reduce their footprint on biodiversity.
- Help to raise the level of compliance of companies with biodiversity/environmental laws.
- Facilitate research on topics related to business and biodiversity.
- Facilitate capacity building and training to mainstream biodiversity.
- Organise events and forums, including an annual conference.
- Facilitate a comprehensive and inclusive national dialogue on the mainstreaming of biodiversity into business.
- Set momentum in the private sector regarding the need to mainstream biodiversity into business.
The EWT is spearheading the activities of the NBBN in alignment with the model of the Global Partnership for Business and Biodiversity of the Convention on Biological Diversity and in collaboration with the founding and supporting partners, as well as the other members of the Network.
For further information about the National Biodiversity and Business Network (NBBN), please send an email to Shelley and the NBBN will revert back to you as soon as possible.
Manager: National Biodiversity and Business Network
Endangered Wildlife Trust
W + 27 11 372 3600 | Ext 64 | F + 27 11 608 4682 | C + 27 72 210 2085
Email: Shelley Lizzio| Web: www.ewt.org.za | Skype: shelley.currin