This month’s Earthly Eating recipe is a quick, easy, and healthy Paella Primavera recommended by the EWT’s Graphic Designer, Suzette Britz
Preparation time: 30 min
- 2 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 tsp. crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup short-grain white rice, such as Valencia
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby peas
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 12 pitted green olives, halved
- 12 pitted black olives, halved, optional
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and green onions; cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, garlic, and saffron; bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle rice over ingredients, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle broccoli, peas, tomatoes, and olives over rice. Cover, and cook paella for 8 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve, spoon paella into six bowls and garnish each with lemon wedges and parsley.